Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Weighty matters

OK, time for confession to my fellow blogsters:  I've put on 10 pounds since Christmas!  Not only that, I was in complete denial (avoided stepping on our scales, wouldn't look at my profile in the mirror, etc.) until I had a routine appointment with my doctor two weeks ago.  The nurse said, "We need to get a weight for you."  So, moment of truth, I stepped on their scales, first removing shoes, coins from my pocket, anything that might add ounces or pounds.  But that didn't help much.  The truth was that I weighed more than I ever have in my life.  I'm not revealing how much!  So I asked the doctor what I should do.  (That was a ploy.  I knew what I needed to do:  eat less, exercise more.)  She said "You need to eat less, exercise more."  I said, "Oh."  She also recommended I go with the Weight Watchers program.

So this past Thursday I attended my first ever Weight Watchers meeting, and weighed in.  It was a shock to have them write down my initial weight in their little book, and also in my little book.  I start reading some of their materials about tracking points, and learned that I was allocated 29 points per day.  A banana counts for 2 points.  A banana muffin counts for 6 points, etc.  It quickly adds up!  Since I'm coming to Russellville this next week, I started to wonder how many points would be my usual meal at Roy's (BBQ, cooked apples, corn, cornbread and root beer).  Probably 29 points.  

I've been religiously counting my food points since last Thursday, and am also walking 2 to 3 miles each day.  Today I attend my second Weight Watchers meeting, will weigh in again, see if maybe I've lost a pound.  Wish me luck.  

7 comments:

Mary Lucy Franklin said...

Well, Keith, Bless your heart. It has been a long house-bound winter. This has turned into a beautiful day, - perfect for taking a walk. As to dieting, - what I have discovered is that if I like it and it's good, I probably shouldn't eat it. I wish much success for you at tonight's weigh-in.

Ann P. said...

I, too, have done Weight Watchers and need to do it again as I have gained back all of the weight that I lost. I know about those points. I have walked two times in the past 5 days but not as far as you are walking. That is the goal to do it daily. I cannot wait to hear if you lost during the past week. I know what you mean about going to Roy's or going anywhere that the food is extra special. Just keep us posted and maybe you can encourage me to get back with it again, and I, in turn, can encourage you.

Ann P.

Keith said...

You could have bowled me over with a feather. I went to WW, took a deep breath (after taking off my shoes), stepped on the scales, and Ta-Dah... the weigh-in lady said with a big smile "Congratulations, Mr. Carver, you've lost 5.2 pounds!" I could hardly believe it and was in a happy fog for the rest of the half-hour session. I figure at this rate I will weigh exactly nothing by July 4.

Now. How do I stick with it? Any ideas?

Mary Lucy Franklin said...

Congratulations. Another one of those unfairnesses in life: men initially lose weight faster than women. I would say the better weather and more outside activity will help a lot. Maybe you could start a new building project.

Cathy Carver said...

Hmmm. I know the amount. What's it worth to you for me not to tell?? (Oh, no, wait, wait. I just remembered, you also know my amount.)

Seriously, bro, way to go. Let's wear out the sidewalks in R'ville next week.

Charlotte said...

I can't imagine any place more lovely to walk around than Russellville in the Spring unless it would be Russellville in the Fall.

Good luck with your diet, Keith.

Ann P. said...

Hooray for Keith! I never lost that much in any week that I went to Weight Watchers bearing out what Lucy said about men losing more weight initially. I walked today but lunch was at an Awards Luncheon for kids. I ate pizza, white cheddar popcorn, and chocolate chip cookies washed down with iced tea. There was nothing else to eat and by the time I sat down I thought I was starved. No telling how many points I consumed at one seating. The walk could not have burned it all off. Oh, woe! I doth protest too much and have not bragged enough on your accomplishment, Keith. You must have been very good all week. Keep up the good work! Cathy, do tell all. Surely Keith won't rat on you. Just Kidding!

Ann P.